Another sample for my City and Guilds. This is the first attempt at Sashiko.
I found Sarah’s Hand Embroidery Tutorials very useful. It is all very clearly explained and illustrated. The sample came out better than I thought. I will try some more patterns as I have some time off work – good timing as heavy snow is on its way so I might just stay by the fireside!
Spring only exists indoors at the moment! I also finished the Kantha sample and love the ripple effect of the many lines of running stitch.
I am off to look at the other work on Kathys page at Slow Sunday Stitching, why not take a look for yourself and get some inspiration
I spent a little time today adding the quilting lines to the Kantha sample I am making for my City and Guilds portfolio – but only a little time as I have been on a Hen weekend and am a bit tired!. Originally I started with a more complicated design of cats and fish using an old pillow case. It was far too fussy and the cotton so dense it was not enjoyable to sew.
I swopped to this simple design using a piece of old linen trousers which, with its much looser weave, was much easier to sew and quickly built up the embroidery.
It is only two layers of material with no wadding but that is how Kantha is made in West Bengal and Bangladesh mainly by women in rural areas. It can be very simple and was a good way to use old saris and other fabric to make a coverlet. It can also be very decorative and ornate.
Well, I wished I had made it to the art galleries and museums in Cambridge but I seemed to have spent too much time eating and giggling. Another trip is on the cards as I missed the quilt shop too! That’s a first as I usually manage to find one wherever I go but I have been lucky enough to be given a £75 voucher for Franklins for my birthday so that makes up for it.
Think I can finish the Kantha sample tomorrow and then will start on the Sashiko one!
Finally the first counted cross-stitch I have ever made is out of the hoop and ready for framing. There is a space in the guest bedroom wall waitng for it. I bought the kit years ago in charity shop as I love irises but find I don’t love counted cross-stitch. I kept making mistakes, unpicking, re-sewing until I decided to ‘adjust’ the pattern if I made a mistake. Apologies to the designer but I would never have finished it otherwise.
I finished the crazy patchwork sample, adding a bit of lace and finishing the last few seams with chevron, chain (open and closed), feather, blanket stitch of various kinds and now it is ready to go into my sample folder for City and Guilds.
I have also been working on another machine stitch project which has been taking far too long as I kept re-desgning it. I have finally made a decision and these form part of the central panel. All will be revealed but hopefully this year and not another two as it was started in January 2015. I have far too many WIPS! I bet I am not the only one….
Sometimes I think it would be easier to be Socks and sit in the sun in the garden, but then she doesn’t get to look at all the other projects over at Kathy’s Quilts Why not pop over and see for yourself