The Endeavourers

The Endeavourers Big Reveal Improv

I had a look on Youtube and collected a few clips on different types of improv which you can see HERE

I used some of the ideas from the Mr Domestic clip but didn’t want to make a flower. The fans reminded me more of agate and other minerals so I alternated some of the fans to make strips. I did cross a few to make small blocks. to make the piecing simpler I kept to 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 strips and blocks

 

I finally ended up with this

DSCF6553DSCF6555DSCF6556

The big reveal in my case is I got stuck. Should I trim and bind? Seems too traditional for it. Maybe bag instead? But I like the uneven edge. Has anyone got the answer!!!

On a lighter note in the middle of major renovation (two bathrooms, extension, windows, heating, replastering – every room a mess) the plasterer needed to move the loo and this is where he put it!

DSCF6557

In the old boiler cupboard in my sewing room! I was intending to sort it out for fabric storage but maybe….. No

If you would like to see what all the other Endeavourers have made of this quarters theme you can find them below

Catherine – http://www.knottedcotton.com   @knottedcotton
Janine – https://rainbowhare.com/
Nancy – http://www.patchworkbreeze.blogspot.com/
Carol – http://beadsandbirds.blogspot.com/
Barbara – https://theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk/
Ruth – http://benandcharlyscorner.blogspot.co.uk/
Gwen – https://textileranger.com/
Martha – www.weekenddoings.com
Julie – www.pinkdoxies.com
Maureen – https://josephinaballerina.com/
Tonia – http://allthingzsewn.blogspot.com
Kay – https://thecraftyyak.wordpress.com
Soma – http://www.whimsandfancies.com/
Fiona – http://celticthistlestitches.blogspot.co.uk/
Paula – https://paulabquilts.com/

Enjoy!

The Endeavourers

The Endeavourers ‘Change’

I am late posting this morning. Couldn’t find my camera. Found camera. Took one photo and the battery gave up. Got more batteries. Camera comes on and goes off again. Found rechargeables that I charged a couple of weeks ago. Put in camera. They are flat. Is charger broken? Use tablet instead. Save photos. Can’t find them. Add to ‘creation’ new folder. Can’t find them. Go back and ‘save as’. I found them!!!!!

TE Spring fish 1

Too late to remove random bits of fluff from these not very good photos of my interpretation of Change/Transformation

The ocean changes according to the weather on the surface but below the surface there is greater change in its inhabitants. The scary looking deep sea fish fascinated me as a child and still do.

TE Spring fish 6

I had been looking at them recently and it struck me how much fish change according to the depth of the region in which they live. Of course they vary depending on the region of the ocean and the temperature but not in such an extreme way as depth.

TE Spring fish 5

They were all created by decolourising with bleach. It’s interesting to see how differently the blues decolour as they are made up of different dyes.

 

A little tidying up was done with a permanent blue marker and a little white inktense pencil was added to the white areas on the two deep sea fish.

Lines of zig-zag and straight stitch add a little movement to the scene, with more lines onthe upper layers to contrast against the more sluggish currents in the deeps

I particularly like the way the dyes decoloured differently adding to the texture of the fish fins

TE Spring fish 3

Why not visit The Endeavourers to see what everyone else has created on the theme of change/transformation

Farmer's Wife 1930s QAL · The Endeavourers

The Endeavourers – Nature

Well I must learn about scheduled posting so that these posts go out at the right time, still better late than never!

DSCF6240

The theme is one I have chosen for my City and Guilds assignment too, so I have been thinking a lot about nature recently. I made a slightly ambiguous mini quilt. It could be the Sun, it could be a flower, or an anenome; such strange flower-like animals.

 

The background fabric was dyed using Procion dyes and the print was made from soft-cut lino. I used slightly thinned acrylic paint for the linocut and used a brush rather than a roller to have better control of the colours.

DSCF6246

This close up really shows how much variation there is in the printing.It also shows the variegated thread. I used two; a blue, purple and green one and one of different green hues. Looking at it now a little orange would have been good. Just lately I feel more and more drawn to orange, It was one of my favourite colours as a child and I loved to put it with purple!

DSCF6250

The binding is ice-dyed Procion which gives a lovely mottled effect.

Now it’s time for me to see what the other Endeavourers have been creating. If you would like to see for yourself just click HERE