No I haven’t gone all ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ I have been working on two projects this Sunday. It is pouring with rain at last. It first started on Friday evening. A cheer went up from next door as it has rained once in the past two and a half months.
It was dry and warm again on Saturday for a big family BBQ and it is raining today
I finished the Dorset feather stichery sample and I am a quarter of the way through tieing the ugly quilt
A characteristic of Dorset feather is the amount of whipping on the stitches, I’m not so keen on some of the colour combinations I used but it is fine for a sample. It will be used for the front cover of a new needlecase.
I used some of the same no 8 perle cotton to tie the quilt as it has a very thick blanket inside which is too difficult to machine. As I got to the bottom of the quilt I could see some very suspicious looking ‘tunnels’ in the wool! I hope the little critters are all dead or long gone! Better treat it to make sure
I used the paper template to make sure I was in the middle for each tumbler without measuring every time
I am a bit late writing this post so I hope I am not too late for Slow Sunday Stitching over at Kathy’s Quilts. Why not have a look at everyone else’s work
I have had the ‘Ugly Quilt’ hanging around for two years now – time it was finished! It has a wool blanket inside instead of batting and it proved to be too thick to go under the presser foot even when I reduced the pressure. I sewed one exasperating line of stitching and gave up. Even using extra long stitches didn’t help.
So my monthly goal is to tie it instead. I have never tied a quilt only made samples so now is the ideal time to tick another goal off my quilt bucket list.
I am linking up with every one at Elm Street quilts One Monthly Goal July Link Up where Patty is encouraging us all to get it done!
This was made from a single layer cake, ‘Simply Colour’ by V and Co as a suggestion by Fiona from my favourite quilting shop in Brisbane – Peppermint Stitches. I was wondering what to do for my next project and this was quite different to my previous fabric choices. The pattern is my own and it took some working out to deal with the chevron print but it was worth it in the end and now it is on the back of the settee, on me or under the cat!
I badly need to change the layout and am sure there is a simpler way than how I am going to do it but I haven’t worked it out yet! Apologies if you are overloaded with email updates just delete them
I thought I would make use of some of the samples I had to make for the City and Guilds portfolio. I deliberately made all my applique samples in the same style to make a large mug rug/mat. Only the binding to finish now – although I seem to be adding cat hair to it too!
I had played about with the order for quite a while
I don’t know why they look pink when they are actually black and white with different shades of blue applique, I must have got the white balance totally wrong when I took them last night. The types of applique are; raw edge with machine and hand stitching. zig-zag and satin machine stitching; feather, blanket and chain by hand – needle turn and difference types of interfacing in various combinations. The bottom left shape had only straight stitch so I added another row of machine stitching and chose the top left layout.
The other layouts have given me some ideas for other quilts.
I am quite glad I have been making a small project as it is so hot. It has only rained once this month in Essex and we badly need rain for the new trees we planted a couple of months ago
I am having a break from stitching to see what everyone else has posted on Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching which you can find here