I have had the ‘Ugly Quilt’ hanging around for two years now – time it was finished! It has a wool blanket inside instead of batting and it proved to be too thick to go under the presser foot even when I reduced the pressure. I sewed one exasperating line of stitching and gave up. Even using extra long stitches didn’t help.
So my monthly goal is to tie it instead. I have never tied a quilt only made samples so now is the ideal time to tick another goal off my quilt bucket list.
I am linking up with every one at Elm Street quilts One Monthly Goal July Link Up where Patty is encouraging us all to get it done!
This was made from a single layer cake, ‘Simply Colour’ by V and Co as a suggestion by Fiona from my favourite quilting shop in Brisbane – Peppermint Stitches. I was wondering what to do for my next project and this was quite different to my previous fabric choices. The pattern is my own and it took some working out to deal with the chevron print but it was worth it in the end and now it is on the back of the settee, on me or under the cat!
I badly need to change the layout and am sure there is a simpler way than how I am going to do it but I haven’t worked it out yet! Apologies if you are overloaded with email updates just delete them
I have to make a sample for my City and Guilds portfolio and I wasn’t very thrilled about it. With dark colours, black velvet, over-ornate stitching and every embroidery stitch invented it’s not my cup of tea at all.
However after a little research it seems it falls into two categories. It was a way of using up every scrap of cotton or wool by poorer people to make a quilt but women from richer classes, who had no need to work, it was another way to keep themselves occupied. With the wealth to buy rich fabrics such as silk, tulle, satin and velvet and trimmings it seems it all got a bit out of hand until the resulting patchwork was so encrusted with frills and furbelows, embroidery and beads, it was no longer a practical bedcovering and must have weighed rather a lot. It could be used to better effect for tea cosies, cushion covers or waistcoats.
As you can see I completely ignored the usual dark colours and used bright cottons. I have used feather, chevron, cretan, herringbone, and blanket stitch so far.
I’ve added one piece of lace and will add some ribbon too but maybe not buttons and beads!
The feather stitch is rather wonky as I managed to break my left thumb nail off including down on the nailbed. I didn’t realise how much my thumbnail is used to position and hold threads in place – it’s very difficult with a plaster and no nail!
Still a few more seams to cover and another sample is finished.
I am joining eveyone at Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching. Why not have a look at all the beautiful work which you can find here
I don’t usually do posts just about fabric but from ordering to receiving it took only 5 days for this beautifully packaged fabric to arrive in the UK all the way from Japan.
I wanted some Alice in Wonderland fabric but not Disney as it is too bright and the wrong colours for the quilt I want to make for a special little girl. This fabric is perfect.
If you would like to order some yourself you can find it here
Can’t wait to start!
Oh so slow, you would think a miniature quilt would be quicker to make than a full size quilt but this seems to have taken ages. At only six by twelve inches it would hardly keep Barbie warm. My next hexagon qult is going to be for the bed!
It isn’t as wobbly as in the photograph, I must work on my photography skills.
I used Liberty Tana Lawn and started off piecing with Auril but ended up using invisible nylon thread. I found the nylon very hard to work with as it formed loops and knots very easily which were hard to find and undo – it is invisible afterall! I used glue to make the 1/4″ hexies which was very quick and simple to do – and quick to remove at the end.
Still it has been packed off to the Isle of Wight ready to go with four other quilts from Region 8 of the Quilters’ Guild up to Birmingham for the Festival of Quilts in August. It’s not a competition entry but for a display by the specialist group ‘Miniature Quilts’ within the Guild. It is the first one I have ever made and probably the last; I don’t think my eyes can take the strain even with a magnifying glass
I shall have to start a new project for Slow Sunday Stitching over at Kathy’s Quilts. Now I am off to see what everyone else has been up to.
Not invented by me, but a great help if you can’t get started with your precious fabric
One Block Wonder Design Helper
I just realised I never posted about Share Jane the international project to make three Baby Janes that I took part in December 2015 details of which you can find here
Three quilts were created and have been travelling around the world. There is a Facebook page dedicated to their adventures here There was even an article in Quiltmania
I loved the addition of the two interlocking hearts created by careful placement darker blocks, I don’t have my own photos to post of it but there are lots on the Web
It is fun to take part in these projects – have a go if you see one!
Last year I bought a rather dilapidated sewing box, clearly homemade and rather wonky. It had a certain charm but the brown varnish had to go – and now it has!
There was a little repair work to do as the bottom shelf was/wasn’t being held together by some rusty nails. They were replaced with a batten cut to size, glued with Gorilla glue and the top finished with woodfiller.
A couple of coats of pearl gray paint and a few of sheets of scrapbook paper to pretty up the inner tray and it is finished and already in use.
Now I can have my EPP projects close to hand and not have my stuff spread all around.
PS The cobwebs are gone too