I had a look on Youtube and collected a few clips on different types of improv which you can see HERE
I used some of the ideas from the Mr Domestic clip but didn’t want to make a flower. The fans reminded me more of agate and other minerals so I alternated some of the fans to make strips. I did cross a few to make small blocks. to make the piecing simpler I kept to 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 strips and blocks
I finally ended up with this
The big reveal in my case is I got stuck. Should I trim and bind? Seems too traditional for it. Maybe bag instead? But I like the uneven edge. Has anyone got the answer!!!
On a lighter note in the middle of major renovation (two bathrooms, extension, windows, heating, replastering – every room a mess) the plasterer needed to move the loo and this is where he put it!
In the old boiler cupboard in my sewing room! I was intending to sort it out for fabric storage but maybe….. No
If you would like to see what all the other Endeavourers have made of this quarters theme you can find them below
Improv is this quarters theme for The Endeavourers. I missed last quarter as it was the run up to the City and Guilds final show and I ran out of time although I had a lot of ideas. Talking of ideas, this is round up of a few tutorials I found on the subject of improvisational quilting or piecing – there are a variety of methods!
I am continuing to work on the hexagon lozenges and have added a third row to one of them. I love the blue and red together
This is the maximum size and as you can see from the ruler it is quite large. I only need to make 29 more
I have completed a lot of hand stitched projects this year for the City and Guilds in Patchwork and Quilting and now have my certificate!
I thought I would share a few of the samples; some I liked and some I will never do again! Folded patchwork and cathedral windows take up far to much fabric and although they do look good, I shan’t be making any more
I will post more another day including the two main pieces – the quilt and the wall hanging, but now I am going to view the work for Slow Sunday Stitching on Kathy’s Quilts. Why not take a look too
I have a lovely old quilting book called ‘Patchwork; 25 classic step-by-step projects’ by Diana Lodge. The quilt on the cover is the inspiration for the design, although curiously it is not one of the projects in the book. Even more curiously the hexagon template is actually an octagon!
They will all have another row of 1 1/2″ hexies and sashing to join them together. I took the photos on my phone under electric light so the colours are not really true. It is a scrap quilt and some of the fabrics used are the end of that particular one in my stash.
I think it will take about 30 lozenges, plus half lozenges, to make a quilt for my bed, so I have a long way to go. But that is the nature of Slow Sunday Stitching and more can be seen at Kathy’s Quilts
Fanfare is the name of the project that I am putting forward for One Monthly Goal – the fanfares can wait til I actually finish it! I’ve had this sitting around for years and it is part of a challenge I set myself when I first started quilting – to make all of the quilts or dolly quilts in Quilting From Little Things by Sarah Fielke. She is one of my favourite quilters and I love her quirky colouful designs.
I also bought this fabulous ball fringe a couple of years ago. When I bought it I was asked what it was for – I didn’t have a project in mind and the salesman said ‘you are my favourite type of customer’ haha
I am thinking I might be turning it into a cushion cover but my goal is to finish the applique and sew it all together at the very least.
No I haven’t gone all ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ I have been working on two projects this Sunday. It is pouring with rain at last. It first started on Friday evening. A cheer went up from next door as it has rained once in the past two and a half months.
It was dry and warm again on Saturday for a big family BBQ and it is raining today
I finished the Dorset feather stichery sample and I am a quarter of the way through tieing the ugly quilt
A characteristic of Dorset feather is the amount of whipping on the stitches, I’m not so keen on some of the colour combinations I used but it is fine for a sample. It will be used for the front cover of a new needlecase.
I used some of the same no 8 perle cotton to tie the quilt as it has a very thick blanket inside which is too difficult to machine. As I got to the bottom of the quilt I could see some very suspicious looking ‘tunnels’ in the wool! I hope the little critters are all dead or long gone! Better treat it to make sure
I used the paper template to make sure I was in the middle for each tumbler without measuring every time
I am a bit late writing this post so I hope I am not too late for Slow Sunday Stitching over at Kathy’s Quilts. Why not have a look at everyone else’s work
I have had the ‘Ugly Quilt’ hanging around for two years now – time it was finished! It has a wool blanket inside instead of batting and it proved to be too thick to go under the presser foot even when I reduced the pressure. I sewed one exasperating line of stitching and gave up. Even using extra long stitches didn’t help.
So my monthly goal is to tie it instead. I have never tied a quilt only made samples so now is the ideal time to tick another goal off my quilt bucket list.
This was made from a single layer cake, ‘Simply Colour’ by V and Co as a suggestion by Fiona from my favourite quilting shop in Brisbane – Peppermint Stitches. I was wondering what to do for my next project and this was quite different to my previous fabric choices. The pattern is my own and it took some working out to deal with the chevron print but it was worth it in the end and now it is on the back of the settee, on me or under the cat!