These two flowers have travelled round a bit – in and out of a zip lock bag getting a bit wrinkled on the way but now they are finished

Two flowers

They are larger than the previously completed flowers; adding the diamonds gives more design possibilities the idea for which came from ‘Quilting on the Go!’ by Jessica Alexandrakis. This is a very good book for people new to EPP (English paper piecing) or if you have experience, full of good ideas and design projects big and small.

Pink with leaves

I particularly like the leaves. The stripy material is one that I had doubts about when I bought it; was the colour too acidic? But I love it as the leaves because they set the pink off so well

What are you up to this Sunday? Pop over to Kathy’s quilts if you need some inspiration  http://www.kathysquilts.blogspot.ca/ and see what everyone else is up to

15 thoughts on “Grandmother’s Flower Garden

1. BarbCarol says:

Love your flower garden…don”t think I have ever seen one with leaves .. love it!

I hadn’t either until I bought Jessica’s book, but I love them now

2. BarbCarol says:

And, thank you for your kind comment on my blog, Lakeshore Stitches. It is much appreciated.

You have beautiful work on your blog, I’m glad I joined the Slow Sunday Stitching as it has brought so much lovely work and blogs to my attention

3. Carla says:

I love the stripey green fabric in the leaves too! Isn’t it fun when we try something we don’t think will work and it surprises us! When I first started quilting I wasted so much time worrying about shades of fabric. I now call those oatmeal quilts, I prefer those have a few surprises that make them sparkle.

When I first started I bought some fabrics mainly because they were in the sale to get a stash started. Some I looked at recently and thought they don’t go with what I like now, but I have put them altogether in the Leaders and Enders Challenge tumbler quilt – and now they work!

I know what you mean, my first quilt looks very tame to what I do now but it was for my Mum and she loved it

4. Maureen says:

I really like the leaves too. They do set off the pink nicely. I carry mine around in ziploc bags too, so easy!

Those bags are great for keeping everything together and easily visible, I have a bag full of bags of cut fabric, some basted onto templates, half finished flowers and completed ones. don’t know what I would do without them!

5. vivjm says:

I’ve just discovered Slow Sunday Stitching and through that, your blog. I really like your flowers, and especially the zingy green leaves!

Thank you, I had doubts at first about the fabric but now I want to make more!

6. Cathy L says:

I was just over from RSC now I’m over from Slow Sunday Stitching…love the flowers. I haven’t seen many with leaves. What a great addition.

I love them, gives a bit of variety, so I might add more to some of the flowers I have already made

7. So fun… I do love the green striped leaves!

I am going to add more to the others I have completed