A Flock of Geese

I am so far behind on the RSC15 because I started so late, that I thought I would have a marathon cutting session last night. I am following Angela’s pattern and making sawtooth stars with different middles so a large number of flying geese were needed.

When I came to sew this morning I was a red square short. I was sure I have cut four but it was late so maybe I miscounted. I cut another only to find this when I started to chain piece the second round!

so that's where it went

So that’s where it went! I have never done that before – sewed things to myself – but not this!

This morning was very productive, even with a bit a babysitting and a trip to a bootsale. It was a wet and windy last night which put a lot of stall holders off so there were hardly any.  My other half got a demi-john for £3.00 but only after I snorted in derision laughed when the stall holder said £5.00! The girls got an animal book and a lovely glass paperweight. With only two patchy rows there was little choice so I got nothing.

I had bought a pair of scissors in Fabric8 (only £2.00!) yesterday which came in handy today as they are so large and I had many geese to separate. Only a couple of snips and they were done.

Big scissors

Now for the inner blocks. January is medium blues; whirling geese and card trick. Let’s hope the weather brightens up as it is a bit dark for taking photos indoors without a flash (and I can’t find my tripod to do a long exposure)

 

Another Challenge!

I am adding a third challenge to the other two – my own self-imposed “Quilting from Little Things”, and the “Farmer’s Wife 1930s” QAL at the Quilting Board here

The third challenge is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler (RSC15) by Angela over at Soscrappy complete with button to add to your blog. The block is based around a sawtooth star with a different inner block for each star. The colour for August is indigo – a colour  I love but actually have very little of. Some blues look indigo until you put them next to each other and some then appear to have a greenish hue.

I couldn’t use Soscrappy’s method of making flying geese as I don’t have the appropriate ruler so I used the second method from Connecting Threads here

They went together easilyand I set to work on the inner square which is the Road to California, which also went together well.  The problems arose when I went to join them all – the inner block was bigger than the geese! Measuring the seams of the inner block showed that they were smaller than a quarter inch, hence the block was bigger. A close inspection of my quarter inch piecing foot showed that it was slightly bent inwards! How annoying as I can’t do anything about it until Monday. The foot came with my new sewing machine from Franklins in Colchester so not too far to travel to get a replacement.

I will just have to make notes for the previous squares as the challenge started in January so I have a lot of catching up to do.  As I don’t have any completed blocks you can see what they should look like  courtesy of Kat Scribner who has a very useful list showing all the blocks completed so far on her blog Scrapbox Quilts