Quilting from Little things

Stars in Your Eyes

I am trying to finish off all the UFOs that are languishing in bags or boxes and this little dolly is one of them. Instead of making the dolly quilt ‘Peaks and Troughs’ I decided to make a section of the larger quilt that is paired with it – ‘Stars in Your Eyes’

The purpose of both quilts is to teach you how to do ‘L’ and ‘Y’ seams and I should have read the beginning of the chapter where it says ‘L’s are easier then ‘Y’s but I was entranced by the lovely stars on the full size quilt so bypassed the dolly to make a star – intending that it could become a cushion cover. The first lot of photos are over two years old which tells you something.

The first part was easy enough – strip piece five fabrics, fold in half and cut out triangles with the widest part of the triangle ruler on the fold line. When opened out you have diamond shapes to play around with, which I did

The next part involved making a diamond-shaped template for the inset piecing, cutting the fabric and then attaching using Y seams and that is where it started going wrong. I found it in a bag with only one piece set in, rather badly, and a second piece attached by one seam and the inner corner slightly chewed…..It was obvious why I had set it to one side for so long.

Still I had to finish it and it wasn’t so bad this time round. It definitely helped having a better machine and after one false start it was done. No great dramas; the key was ignoring the dots that marked a quarter inch seam and feeling where it was and then marking it. Also I left the needle down the whole time when repositioning the fabric contrary to Sarah’s instructions

On reflection it was on the large side for a cushion cover once squared off so I bound it as it is. A certain furry someone certainly appreciates it!

Now, where are those little fans for ‘Fanfare’ hiding…..

 

Botanic gardens · Quilting from Little things

Design Wall

Leave a comment

This is vital for this quilt as there are so many fabrics and colours in it. Eight each of light and dark blue, green, yellow/orange and pink/red. I didn’t have enough colours in my meagre stash so mine is predominantly blue/green, a little yellow and orange with the addition of purple – just use what you have! It is not meant to be a slavish copy.

Design wall

I also didn’t have enough room for an actual design wall so the bookcase was temporarily covered with a table protector. This is plastic on one side but more like flannel on the other. It makes a great alternative to batting and was only $6, so much cheaper too.

Shame the bookcase wasn’t bigger as it started to creep a cross the floor!

Botanic garden SF2 IMGP4359

I have also pieced the quilt in sections as I like to chain piece and 21 squares is too awkward to remember the order if chaining in pairs. So it was 8 plus 8 plus 5. It also means you get used to the pattern and don’t make as many mistakes, it helped me anyway

Next the strips were sewn into ‘blocks’

IMGP4365

This quilt is rated 1 star for degree of difficulty – it is only squares and a few half square triangles, but the length of the strips made it difficult to chain piece – for me at least!

I added a border of two fabrics in similar large and medium scale prints in different blues/green/purple but after some thought decided to remove it. It just didn’t look right.

The backing was made up of different fabrics from my stash plus a couple of metres from Spotlight’s stash builder basket. Photos soon