Finished Projects

Out With The Old, In With The New

IMGP5079

At last I have finished my new purse. For American readers a purse is something to keep money and cards in which is placed in your hand/shoulder/messenger/bag in the UK. The male equivalent is a wallet

It was made following a very clear tutorial by Ayumi of Pink Penguin which I have made  before following a similar look to the one she has demonstrated. However it is showing it’s age now and I wanted a different look. I wasn’t sure what I wanted until I bought a scrap bag of fabric at Peppermint Stitches and in it were two fabrics that went well with each other; a piece of dark grey linen and a few scraps of fabric by Anna Maria Horner from the Loulouthi collection from a few years ago. It is still available here

The lining and internal pocket fabrics were also in the scrap bag and are all fabrics that I wouldn’t normally chose but they all went together so well for this project.

The zip was quite difficult to put in – because it was so narrow, not because of the instructions. I have avoided zips in the past but it’s not too bad if you have good instructions. I saw another pattern for a similar purse but the zip ends were on show when you opened it! It looked great on the outside but terrible on the inside, so it is always worth doing a bit of research for a project to find the best one

I enjoyed doing the simple embroidery outlining parts of the fabric design, but the bottom part was closely machine quilted to give it a bit of rigidity. All in all a good project that cost very little. I have had a lot of compliments for the old purse – will the new one get as many?

 

WIPs

Making not Buying

DSCF4513I felt guilty about posting so much about fabric purchases that I  thought it was time to post about something I am actually making. It is a new patchwork wristlet following a tutorial by Ayumi Takahashi from Pink Penguin. My old one is a little the worse for wear now and even the washing machine can’t restore it’s looks but it has served me well .

The new one is made from pieces of fabric from a scrap bag  bought at Peppermint Stitches. I have machined straight lines close together at the bottom but decided to do a little hand- stitching around some of the motifs at the top. simple stuff, just chain, stem, running and seed stitches. The pockets and lining are cut and stitched, the handle made and the zip ready to go. Now all that needs to happen is for my Pfaff to finally come back from repair or I get a new quarter inch foot for my Britannia Instyle 16, as it is bent out of true boo hoo.

I am not having much luck with gadgets at the moment as both the washing machine and hoover decided to go on strike too, but they are both working now. If only my sewing machines were