WIPs

Hexagon Go-Slow Sunday Stitching

DSCF5869

I think I have taken Slow Sunday Stitching to the extreme with these flower pots, but I have an excuse as the last picture will reveal!

They are to be appliqued to a background rather than finish the quilt entirely in hexagons

 

…and the reason they have taken so long? See below!

DSCF5874

The flower on the left is made from ‘normal’ sized hexagons  of 1 1/2 inches. Can you guess the size of the others?

If you would like to see more slow stitching posts why not pop over to Kathy’s Quilts where you can see what more sensible people make on Sunday. You can find the link here

Happy stitching everyone!

Quilting from Little things

Stars in Your Eyes

I am trying to finish off all the UFOs that are languishing in bags or boxes and this little dolly is one of them. Instead of making the dolly quilt ‘Peaks and Troughs’ I decided to make a section of the larger quilt that is paired with it – ‘Stars in Your Eyes’

The purpose of both quilts is to teach you how to do ‘L’ and ‘Y’ seams and I should have read the beginning of the chapter where it says ‘L’s are easier then ‘Y’s but I was entranced by the lovely stars on the full size quilt so bypassed the dolly to make a star – intending that it could become a cushion cover. The first lot of photos are over two years old which tells you something.

The first part was easy enough – strip piece five fabrics, fold in half and cut out triangles with the widest part of the triangle ruler on the fold line. When opened out you have diamond shapes to play around with, which I did

The next part involved making a diamond-shaped template for the inset piecing, cutting the fabric and then attaching using Y seams and that is where it started going wrong. I found it in a bag with only one piece set in, rather badly, and a second piece attached by one seam and the inner corner slightly chewed…..It was obvious why I had set it to one side for so long.

Still I had to finish it and it wasn’t so bad this time round. It definitely helped having a better machine and after one false start it was done. No great dramas; the key was ignoring the dots that marked a quarter inch seam and feeling where it was and then marking it. Also I left the needle down the whole time when repositioning the fabric contrary to Sarah’s instructions

On reflection it was on the large side for a cushion cover once squared off so I bound it as it is. A certain furry someone certainly appreciates it!

Now, where are those little fans for ‘Fanfare’ hiding…..

 

Uncategorized

Another Challenge!

I am adding a third challenge to the other two – my own self-imposed “Quilting from Little Things”, and the “Farmer’s Wife 1930s” QAL at the Quilting Board here

The third challenge is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler (RSC15) by Angela over at Soscrappy complete with button to add to your blog. The block is based around a sawtooth star with a different inner block for each star. The colour for August is indigo – a colour  I love but actually have very little of. Some blues look indigo until you put them next to each other and some then appear to have a greenish hue.

I couldn’t use Soscrappy’s method of making flying geese as I don’t have the appropriate ruler so I used the second method from Connecting Threads here

They went together easilyand I set to work on the inner square which is the Road to California, which also went together well.  The problems arose when I went to join them all – the inner block was bigger than the geese! Measuring the seams of the inner block showed that they were smaller than a quarter inch, hence the block was bigger. A close inspection of my quarter inch piecing foot showed that it was slightly bent inwards! How annoying as I can’t do anything about it until Monday. The foot came with my new sewing machine from Franklins in Colchester so not too far to travel to get a replacement.

I will just have to make notes for the previous squares as the challenge started in January so I have a lot of catching up to do.  As I don’t have any completed blocks you can see what they should look like  courtesy of Kat Scribner who has a very useful list showing all the blocks completed so far on her blog Scrapbox Quilts