This is vital for this quilt as there are so many fabrics and colours in it. Eight each of light and dark blue, green, yellow/orange and pink/red. I didn’t have enough colours in my meagre stash so mine is predominantly blue/green, a little yellow and orange with the addition of purple – just use what you have! It is not meant to be a slavish copy.
I also didn’t have enough room for an actual design wall so the bookcase was temporarily covered with a table protector. This is plastic on one side but more like flannel on the other. It makes a great alternative to batting and was only $6, so much cheaper too.
Shame the bookcase wasn’t bigger as it started to creep a cross the floor!
I have also pieced the quilt in sections as I like to chain piece and 21 squares is too awkward to remember the order if chaining in pairs. So it was 8 plus 8 plus 5. It also means you get used to the pattern and don’t make as many mistakes, it helped me anyway
Next the strips were sewn into ‘blocks’
This quilt is rated 1 star for degree of difficulty – it is only squares and a few half square triangles, but the length of the strips made it difficult to chain piece – for me at least!
I added a border of two fabrics in similar large and medium scale prints in different blues/green/purple but after some thought decided to remove it. It just didn’t look right.
The backing was made up of different fabrics from my stash plus a couple of metres from Spotlight’s stash builder basket. Photos soon